We are looking for a Surgical Technologist I, someone who’s ready to grow with our company. In this position, you will handle instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure, assisting the physician while performing related patient care duties in an age-appropriate manner as assigned by the circulating nurse (RN).
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs patient care related duties.
- Prepares and assists with the preparation of the operating room according to the needs and age appropriateness of the patient and the surgical procedure as evidenced by the following, but not limited to knowledge of surgical pathology as related to the planned surgical intervention; knowledge of allergies (awareness of high-risk groups for latex allergy); knowledge and preparation of special equipment i.e., implants, prostheses, instrumentation per procedure/preference, and medications.
- Applies knowledge of the surgical procedure by anticipating the needs of the surgeon, having supplies opened or readily available in a cost-effective manner as observed by the circulating nurse/nurse manager. Seeks the circulating nurse's assistance and references the preference card when unable to decide about opening versus readily available.
- Attends and participates in in-services and other continuing education opportunities to maintain professional development.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments according to the established policy and procedure 100% of the time as observed by the circulating nurse.
- Assists in the care and labeling of specimens 100% of the time as observed by the circulating nurse.
- Acknowledges the importance of patient safety by participating in the proper handling of medications within the sterile field.
- Prepares O.R. equipment and supplies while performing patient care-related duties in an age-appropriate way.
- Demonstrates effective time management skills.
- Cares for one or more of the following age groups routinely: Neonates, Infants, Toddler,
- Preschool Age, School Age, Adolescent, and Adult.
Skills & Requirements
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- Required Educational program completion for surgical technologists which may include operating room/surgical training completed in the army, navy, air force, marine corps, or coast guard of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service
- Required CST-SUR - Cert-Cert Surgical TECH by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting AND TSC-NCCT - Cert-TECH Surgery - Certified NCCT by the National Center for Competency Testing
- Some experience preferred
About Texas Children’s
Texas Children’s first health care location in Austin, Texas Children’s Urgent Care West Gate, opened in March 2018, providing high quality pediatric-focused care after hours and on weekends. There are now more than 10 Texas Children’s Pediatric primary care practices in the greater Austin area bringing world-class pediatric services to children and their families. Our Specialty Care Center in Austin includes a multidisciplinary group of pediatric specialists committed to providing comprehensive care across a wide spectrum of services, including allergy and immunology, cardiology, ophthalmology, rheumatology, pulmonology, neurology, and more. Texas Children’s also plans to build a 360,000-square-foot freestanding hospital for children and women, set to open in 2024.
Our thoughtful expansion into Austin will help support a pediatric population of more than half a million and keep kids healthy and happy from birth to adulthood.
To join our community of more than 14,000 dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.
Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.