LyTorre is The Difference – in step with patients and families to build connections and trust.LyTorre is The Difference
We’re looking for a Certified Ophthalmic Technical Educator, someone who’s ready to grow with our company. In this position you will assists in creating and coordinating centralized and decentralized ophthalmic technician onboarding process, education and development programs, performance improvement initiatives and leads special projects for the Ophthalmology Department of Ambulatory Services. Act as clinical expert and consultant for ophthalmology (direct patient care) functions within the department and their assigned work groups. Supports the clinic supervisor to coordinate daily clinical and personnel activities for the Department. Collaborates with leaders, other teams, and departments to ensure timely and appropriate care flows in the units.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Performs preliminary measurements and exams on both pediatric and adult ophthalmology patients.
• Performs visual acuity, color vision testing, lensometry, exophthalmometry, Amsler grid, Schirmer test, pupil evaluation, anterior chamber depth assessment, stereo testing, ocular motility on extraocular muscle actions, strabismus, amblyopia, and assessment methods on children and adults.
• Performs basic instrument maintenance on ophthalmoscopes, retinoscopes, lensometers, perimeters, tangent screen, phoropter/trial frames, slit lamps, keratometers, muscle light, surgical instruments.
• Obtains ophthalmic history from patient or parent including but not limited to, presenting complaint, past ocular history, family history, systemic illness, medications, allergies and drug reactions, review of systems, social history, and developmental history.
• Performs other essential job-related duties.
• Coordinates ROP patients.
• Provides Administrative Support.
• Leads the educational and training program for technicians and supports departmental management of the team. Mentors and Develops staff to help with employee orientation, training program implementation, feedback, and team development.
• Accountable for supporting the daily team needs to include clinic flow and coordination, problem solving for team within the Department. Participates in special projects, new initiatives, and performance improvement initiatives for the department.
• Coordinates continuous state of readiness initiatives for department.
Skills & Requirements
• Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
• Required H.S. Diploma or GED and be a Graduate of a formal Ophthalmic technician program from a school that is listed by the credentialing body, JCAHPO, as an accredited school
• Required Licenses/Certifications
o COA - Cert-Cert Ophthalmic Assistant Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO)
o COT - Cert-Cert Ophthalmic TECH Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO)
o OPTMTRST - Licensed Optometrist Texas Optometry Board
• Required 3 years of experience in an ophthalmology or optometry office
About Texas Children’s