We’re searching for a Department Assistant — someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will provide departmental support, which could include administrative support for Assistant Directors and/or other faculty/physicians and leaders.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides office services support.
- Answers telephones in a professional manner, takes accurate messages and transfers calls to the appropriate party in a courteous and timely manner.
- Develops and maintains a system for tracking and restocking office supply inventory that insures a constant and adequate supply of necessary operational supplies required for personnel and for all office machines and store them in an orderly, easily retrievable manner.
- Coordinates daily general communications functions including 1) timely pick-up, delivery and distribution of departmental mail, accurate preparation of outgoing mail, courier and other mail media items for departmental personnel; 2) reliably handling e-mail and facsimile correspondence as directed
- Maintains in stock and in an orderly manner the coffee and other food supplies provided by department, and ensures maintenance of general cleanliness of department, including scheduling of routine and/or needed maintenance of facilities (carpets, walls, etc.), machines, etc.
- Performs department specific customer service functions.
- Orders and maintains appropriate par levels of office supplies and manages within budget.
- Completes assigned tasks for onboarding of new employees.
- Performs administrative duties.
- Performs other essential job-related functions.
- Performs scheduling tasks.
Skills & Requirements
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- H.S. Diploma or Equivalent Required
- 2 Years Administrative/Secretarial Experience, preferably in a Healthcare Environment
About Texas Children’s
Since 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years.
Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation.
Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.