LyTorre is The Difference – in step with patients and families to build connections and trust.LyTorre is The Difference
We are searching for a Clinical Staff Pharmacist — someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will manage and promote activities appropriate to ensure a safe and effective medication use process and assist in direct patient care activities to promote optimal drug therapy and resolve medication use problems in a manner developmentally appropriate for the ages of patients served (0-adult). Additionally, to perform the duties of a registered pharmacist as defined by Texas Children's Hospital.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
· Utilizes Skills to Serve as a Clinical Practitioner. Actively participates in multi-disciplinary rounds with medical specialty services. Ensures the appropriateness of all medication doses in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, clinical status, weight/body surface area, allergies, and drug interactions as evidenced by lack of medication incidents. Identifies patients with special needs and oversees coordination of activities to ensure proper delivery of drug therapy Performs outcome-directed therapeutic drug monitoring for patients according to guidelines. Monitors therapy for drug, drug-nutrient, drug-laboratory interactions. Discusses interactions with appropriate health care professionals to help ensure patient safety. Measures compliance. Performs outcome-directed pharmacokinetics monitoring for patients according to guidelines and discusses recommendations with appropriate medical professionals to help provide the best care for the patient. Accurately verifies medication orders in the electronic medical record.
· Ensures a safe medication use process. Promotes the use of formulary medications and follows procedures to obtain non-formulary medications. Identifies opportunities for improvement for area of practice; works with a clinical pharmacy specialist to accomplish these improvements. Identifies and suggests agents to be added, deleted, or modified to to/within the formulary, works with a clinical pharmacy specialist to accomplish the changes. Reports, investigates, follows-up, and takes appropriate action for medication incidents and adverse drug reactions.
· Participates in the education of patients, caregivers, and the community. Provides correct and timely drug information to medical, nursing as needed. Participates in the training of new employees as evidenced by peer review and agenda. Participates in the education of pharmacy students as evidenced by student feedback. Provides medication education to patients/parents/caregivers as requested by the medical team or by hospital standard operating procedures. Demonstrates current professional and technical knowledge and skills. Develops educational programs, both practice-area specific and general education for pharmacists, in collaboration with a clinical pharmacy specialist to ensure good patient care. Serves as a preceptor to pharmacists and pharmacy students. Provides medication education to patients/parents/caregivers as requested by the medical team.
· Supports patient safety systems. Completes intervention documentation in the on-line documentation program according to guidelines. Performs and documents patient profile
review according to guidelines. Performs and documents discharge prescription review according to guidelines. Enforces the Non-Formulary medication guidelines.
· Communicates with others. Checks all available means of communication including e-mail, mailbox, and voice mail every shift. Responds to pages and messages with departmental standards. Participates in shift report as the on-coming and off-going pharmacist including verbal communication and any other established procedures. Acts as a liaison between the pharmacy, the nurses, and physicians. Communicates positively and appropriately in order to work effectively as a team. Communicates and treats all coworkers with respect and courtesy, avoiding loud and disruptive conversation, and/or actions and remarks indicating disrespect. Keeps immediate supervisor informed. Answers telephone within departmental standards, and limits personal calls so as to not interfere with patient care or operations. Communicates with co-workers when leaving the area and returns within stated time frame.
· Performs other essential functions. Ensures a work environment that is clean, neat, and organized according to departmental standards. Maintains patient confidentiality as documented by a lack of complaints and peer review. Performs additional duties as assigned within specified deadlines. Completes mandatory health, safety, and training/in-service requirements by deadline. Demonstrates initiative when opportunities are presented as evidenced by successful completion of projects.
Skills & Requirements
· Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
· Required Bachelor's Degree Pharmacy or Ph.D. Pharm. D. degree
· Required RPH - Pharmacist by the State of Texas
· Preferred completion or pending successful completion of a 1-year PGY1 ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Residency and/or 3 years Clinical experience as pharmacist in a hospital pharmacy setting with multi-disciplinary rounding responsibilities
About Texas Children’s