We are searching for a certified Child Life Specialist. In this position, you will implement and provide a comprehensive program of Child Life Services that help meet the emotional, developmental, and social needs of children in a health care setting. You will also provide opportunities for children to gain a sense of mastery, offering play and learning experiences, and encouraging family and peer interaction.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Child Life, Psychology, Sociology, or Human Development required
- Child Life Certification (CCLS) by the ACLP must be obtained within 6 months of entering the role
- Master’s degree in Child Life, Psychology, Sociology, or Human Development preferred
- 2 years clinical experience as a Child Life Specialist preferred
- Provides child life assessments and normalizes the hospital environment for patients and families.
- Conducts formal and informal developmental assessments of psychosocial needs of patients and families within 24 hours of referral.
- Promotes and provides developmentally appropriate interventions for patients and families.
- Prepares patients and families for procedure/treatment(s) using developmentally appropriate explanations.
- Represents and communicates child life and psychosocial issues of pediatric health care to professionals outside of child life.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families during identified stress points in order to facilitate adaptive coping
- Models appropriate interactions with various age groups to interdisciplinary staff.
- Participates in professional development of self and other child life professionals.
- Collaborates in an intradepartmental effort to support the mission and vision of the Child Life
About Texas Children’s
Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus is Houston’s first community hospital designed, built and equipped exclusively for children in one of the city’s most rapidly growing communities in the area from Sugar Land to Bryan-College Station, Texas. Located at I-10 and Barker Cypress, our 515,007-square-foot hospital houses the only 24/7 pediatric emergency room in the Greater West Houston area, four operating rooms, 16-bed pediatric intensive care unit, 46 acute care beds, advanced imaging services including MRI and CT scans, a neurophysiology sleep lab, a pathology lab and a full-scale pharmacy.
To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org.
Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.