We are searching for a certified Child Life Specialist. In this position, you will implement and provide a comprehensive program of Child Life Services that help meet the emotional, developmental, and social needs of children in a health care setting. You will also provide opportunities for children to gain a sense of mastery, offering play and learning experiences, and encouraging family and peer interaction.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Child Life, Psychology, Sociology, or Human Development required
- Child Life Certification (CCLS) by the ACLP must be obtained within 6 months of entering the role
- Master’s degree in Child Life, Psychology, Sociology, or Human Development preferred
- 2 years clinical experience as a Child Life Specialist preferred
- Provides child life assessments and normalizes the hospital environment for patients and families.
- Conducts formal and informal developmental assessments of psychosocial needs of patients and families within 24 hours of referral.
- Promotes and provides developmentally appropriate interventions for patients and families.
- Prepares patients and families for procedure/treatment(s) using developmentally appropriate explanations.
- Represents and communicates child life and psychosocial issues of pediatric health care to professionals outside of child life.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families during identified stress points in order to facilitate adaptive coping
- Models appropriate interactions with various age groups to interdisciplinary staff.
- Participates in professional development of self and other child life professionals.
- Collaborates in an intradepartmental effort to support the mission and vision of the Child Life
About Texas Children’s
Since 1954, Texas Children’s has been leading the charge in patient care, education and research to accelerate health care for children and women around the world. When you love what you do, it truly shows in the smiles of our patient families, employees and our numerous accolades such as being consistently ranked as the best children’s hospital in Texas, and among the top in the nation by U.S.News & World Report as well as recognition from Houston Business Journal as one of this city’s Best Places to Work for ten consecutive years.
Texas Children’s comprehensive health care network includes our primary hospital in the Texas Medical Center with expertise in over 40 pediatric subspecialties; the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute (NRI); the Feigin Center for pediatric research; Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, a comprehensive obstetrics/gynecology facility focusing on high-risk births; Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, a community hospital in suburban West Houston; and Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands, the first hospital devoted to children’s care for communities north of Houston. We have also created the nation’s first HMO for children, established the largest pediatric primary care network in the country and a global health program that is channeling care to children and women all over the world. Texas Children’s Hospital is also academically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the largest, most diverse and successful pediatric programs in the nation.
Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.