LyTorre is The Difference – in step with patients and families to build connections and trust.LyTorre is The Difference
We are searching for an Oncology Clinical Pharmacy Specialist. In this position, you will manage and promote activities appropriate to ensure the medication use process, serve as mentor to pharmacists who provide services to the medical specialty, and assist in direct patient care activities to promote optimal drug therapy and resolve medication use problems in a manner developmentally appropriate for the ages of patients served (0-adult).
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Oncology Clinical Pharmacy Specialist-Specific Responsibilities:
· Attend daily multidisciplinary team rounds. Serve as content resource for care pediatric oncology patients.
· Contribute to execution of research studies through Children's Oncology Group membership.
· Serve as a committee member and content owner for Cancer Center Practice Standards for provision of treatment-directed and supportive care in hematology and oncology patients.
· Participate in research and quality improvement initiatives for Cancer and Hematology Center.
• Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Process Improvement Responsibilities:
· Ensures the medication use process. Creates and maintains appropriate and useful policies and procedures affecting areas of responsibility. Makes recommendations as to how services, methods, and procedures can be improved. Establishes action plans to implement appropriate changes.
· Promotes the use of the formulary and follows procedures to obtain non-formulary medications. Identifies and suggests agents to be added, deleted, or modified to/within the formulary and database.
· Identifies opportunities for improvement for area of practice; seeks to accomplish these improvements. Coordinates performance improvement or quality improvement activities to contribute to improved patient outcomes.
· Investigates, follows-up, and takes appropriate action for medication incidents and adverse drug reactions.
· Actively participates in the development of evidence-based clinical guidelines group to ensure appropriate provision of medical therapy in TCH guidelines.
• Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Education Responsibilities:
· Participates in the education of parents/patients, care givers, pharmacists, and pharmacy residents and students. Participates in the education and training of pharmacy employees, pharmacy students, pharmacy residents, and non-pharmacy personnel. Develops an educational program and a plan and incorporates into pharmacist’s routine increasing their clinical knowledge.
· Provides correct and timely drug information to medical, nursing, and pharmacy staff as needed.
· Provide medication education to patients/parents/caregivers as requested by the medical team.
· Perpetuates self-development through publications and/or presentations at a professional society level each year. Demonstrates current professional, managerial, and technical knowledge and skills.
· Develops educational programs, both practice-area specific and general education for pharmacists to ensure good patient care.
· Serves as a preceptor to pharmacists, pharmacy residents and students.
· Attends one pharmacy or service based professional meeting each year.
• Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Professional Conduct Responsibilities:
· Communicates with others. Collaborates effectively with other members of health care disciplines to provide comprehensive care to patients. Communicates positively and appropriately to work effectively as a team.
· Utilizes appropriate skills to help develop a care plan.
· Checks all available means of communication including e-mail, mailbox, and voice mail if applicable every day/shift.
· Responds to pages and messages within departmental standards. Communicates and treats all coworkers with respect and courtesy, avoiding loud and disruptive conversation, and/or actions and remarks indicating disrespect.
· Keeps immediate supervisor informed of issues.
· Acts as a liaison between the pharmacy, nurses, and physicians.
· Performs other essential functions.
· Maintain patient confidentiality as documented by lack of complaints and peer review. Performs additional duties as assigned within specified deadline.
· Ensures a work environment that is clean, neat, and organized according to departmental standards.
· Completes mandatory health, safety, and training/in-services requirements by deadline.
· Demonstrates initiative when opportunities are presented as evidenced by successful completion of projects.
· Participates in the recruitment and successful hiring and training of pharmacists, completing the appropriate tasks to help hire and train employees as needed.
· Participates in the clinical on-call program.
Skills & Requirements
• Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
• Required Bachelor's Degree Science in Pharmacy or Pharm. D. Doctor of Pharmacy
• Required RPH - Pharmacist by the State of Texas
• Required PGY1 ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency AND a PGY2 Pharmacy Practice Residency in an Advanced Area of Pharmacy Practice, or
• Required 5 years PGY1 ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency with four (4) years’ experience in a pediatric inpatient hospital pharmacy setting with clinical responsibilities.
About Texas Children’s