About Texas Children's Hospital
We’re hunting for a Medical Technologist, someone who’s ready to be part of the best ranked children’s
hospital in Texas, and among the best in the nation. In this position, you will perform routine and special
procedures to obtain data or prepare products for the diagnosis and treatment of disease and
the provision of quality patient care.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Prepares and performs tests on specimens; maintains documentation systems.
• Determines suitability of specimens and orders by verifying patient demographic information,
receipt documentation, and recognizing and troubleshooting erroneous, inconsistent, and special
• Organizes and prioritizes the workload so that services are provided as needed and requested by
the medical staff avoiding repetition of work and incident reports as documented in records and
observed by the supervisor.
• Performs routine and special procedures accurately according to policy and procedure manuals;
evaluates results for correctness; recognizes abnormal test results and performs appropriate
problem-solving procedures in a timely manner as documented in section records.
• Provides age-appropriate care by following established technical protocols based on age of
patient, using appropriate instrumentation, and reporting and interpreting results based on
• Responds to emergency situations and STATs quickly and provides the appropriate services
needed without delay as documented by turn-around-times and lack of incident reports.
• Assists other employees in troubleshooting specimen problems and errors and with the workload
performance to meet established turnaround times.
• Communicates any quality control problems, exceptional patients, to the appropriate supervisor
and/or professional staff as they occur and maintains documentation of all clinical information by
correctly entering data into the established record keeping system evidenced by few omissions or
corrections and monitored by supervisor.
• Performs and documents inventory activities.
• Performs and documents reagent quality control and instrument checks.
• Participates in the teaching of other personnel and continuing education.
Skills & Requirements
• Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the
COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is
required for all employees at Texas Children’s unless approved for a medical or
• Required bachelor's degree
• Required Licenses/Certifications:
o MT-STATE - Medical Tech. - By any State
o MT-AAB - Medical Technologist- AAB by the American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB)
o MT-AMT - Medical Technologist - AMT by the American Medical Technologists (AMT)
o CLSP - Clinical Laboratory Specialist by the NCA
o IMLS - Int'l Med Lab Scientist by the ASCP
o BB-ASCP - Cert-Tech Blood Bank by the ASCP
o C-ASCP - Cert-Technologist in Chemistry by the ASCP
o H-ASCP - Cert-Technologist Hematology by the ASCP
o MLS-ASCP - Cert-Medical Lab Scientist by the ASCP
o MT-ASCP - Cert-Medical Technologist by the ASCP (International and Non-International
versions of this certification are acceptable)
o M-ASCP - Cert-Technologist Microbiology by the ASCP
o MB-ASCP - Cert-Tech Molecular Biology by the ASCP
o MP-ASCP - Cert-Tech Molecular Pathology ASCP
o MT-NCA - Medical Technologist-MT-NCA by the National Certification Agency