About Texas Children's Hospital
To monitor and provide dispatching services for Patient Escort Services and Bed Transport Services in a timely and efficient manner.
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption
High school diploma or GED required
1-year experience in customer service required
Healthcare and/or Pediatric experience preferred
Responsibility A: Dispatches patient transportation and room management assignments.
• Displays a working knowledge of Patient Transport dispatch software (Epic Grand Central).
• Monitors dispatched work assignments to Patient Transport and bed transport personnel in a timely manner.
• Generates and posts daily, weekly, and monthly performance reports for management as requested.
• Displays a working knowledge of policies and procedures relating to patient transportation, delivery of patient-related
equipment, prescription transport, and specimen delivery.
• Displays a working knowledge of the Epic Grand Central software program to dispatch patient transportation assignments.
• Consistently prioritizes patient, specimen, and equipment transport requests based on urgency.
• Accurately records assignments in dispatch log, noting any delays or unusual circumstances in the event of system failure
• Ensures assignments are completed in a timely manner by following up with Patient Transport Techs when run times
• Monitors requests to ensure assignments are distributed efficiently, effectively, and equitably among staff.
Responsibility B: Provides a high level of customer service.
• Consistently displays a professional demeanor, as observed by guests, staff, and manager.
• Maintains professional rapport with all customers (e.g., guests, departmental personnel, physicians, and other Hospital
personnel, etc.), as observed by manager.
• Responds in a timely and appropriate manner to all methods of communication regarding transportation and room
management assignments; i.e., pagers, phones, radios, etc.
• Displays a working knowledge of multi-line phone systems and answers incoming calls using proper phone etiquette with no
more than three minute hold delays on average.
• Checks voicemail consistently throughout shift and responds as necessary to recorded requests.
• Fills in for Patient Transport Tech position as needed; forwards dispatch phone to mobile phone when necessary and
handles both dispatch and patient transportation duties simultaneously.
Responsibility C: Participates in departmental projects.
• Completes all dispatch projects in a timely manner, as evidenced by manager observation.
• Provides input on ways to improve dispatch services and participates in pilot programs.
• Maintains dispatch logs, radio logs, and lunch/break logs and reports data to manager as requested.
• Consistently reads e-mail and written communication from leadership to ensure accurate information is communicated to
customers and staff.
• Suggests project improvement project ideas to leadership and assumes responsibility for their completion.
Responsibility D: Demonstrates ownership for responsibilities in assigned area and other designated areas.
• Assumes leadership role in absence of formal leader by monitoring activities of staff, conveying information to staff from
management, and handling routine administrative duties.
• Immediately informs management of any issues or incidents that might arise during the shift.
• Identifies and appropriately resolves maintenance or equipment deficiencies in assigned area to maintain space quality
through improvement of efficiency, outcomes, and customer service.
• Identifies and appropriately reports space quality deficiencies throughout Hospital properties according to departmental
• Maintains tools and equipment on a daily basis according to departmental standards and manufacturers’ recommendations.
• Ensures adequate supply inventories to perform daily job responsibilities.
• Utilizes supplies in a cost effective manner.
• Stores supplies, tools, equipment, and other department items in appropriate and designated areas per department
• Ensures that area is clean and orderly at the end of shift.
Responsibility E: Demonstrates accountability for customer service and professional behavior through
personal work ethic, teamwork and effective communication skills.
• Ensures effective communication and work flow for responsibilities in assigned area as demonstrated by maintaining good
rapport and cooperative working relationships with internal and external customers. Completes activities in a manner that
maximizes effectiveness of the task and minimizes the impact to the customer.
• Follows departmental communication plan to ensure accurate understanding and appropriate response to information
related to job performance and employee expectations.
• Provides documentation as required by management and for authorities having jurisdiction (AHJ).
• Responds promptly and appropriately to all forms of Hospital communications including, but not limited to, pagers, radios,
phone, e-mail messages, verbal, and written communications.
• Adheres to departmental dress code and maintains professional appearance.
• Participates in all Hospital and departmental training as required by leadership.
• Obeys all City, State and Federal laws, especially in the use of chemicals and equipment according to
Hospital/departmental policies, usage manuals, and supplementals.
• Performs other duties as required for the Hospital within expectations established by management.