About Texas Children's Hospital
We are searching for a Technical Specialist - Immunology – This lab requires organizational skills, attention to detail, and computer experience, critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision upon completion of training. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action. CIL (A&I) lab is an independent small clinical laboratory and it needs someone who works well in a fast-paced setting.
Our diagnostic (clinical) Immunology laboratory is CAP accredited and CLIA certified with expertise in inborn errors of immunity and it exclusively offers laboratory developed high complexity tests for immune deficiencies, immune depletion or repletion monitoring and evaluation of bone marrow transplant engraftment in the Allergy, Immunology and Retrovirology section. This lab specializes utilizes a variety of techniques including flow cytometry for phenotyping and neutrophil function, cellular analyses, radioactive assays for lymphocyte proliferation and NK cell cytotoxicity assays.
Flow cytometry experience preferred but not required. Proficiency in flow cytometry is advantageous but not mandatory. Proficiency in aseptic technique, pipetting small volumes, handling microtiter plates. blood sample handling, cellular processing, PBMC isolation and counting (microscopy), cell culturing and other diagnostic immunology analyses is also preferred, but on-the-job training will also be provided to otherwise suitable candidates.
Light lifting may be required. Experience with handling hazardous chemicals, biohazards, radioactive materials, etc. is useful. However, on-the-job training will be provided to all new staff members.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption
· Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical, or biological science required
· Master’s degree (or higher) in biological, chemistry, or laboratory science may substitute for one year of the required experience
· BB-ASCP, C-ASP, CLSP-NCA, G-ASCP, HT-ASCP, HTL-ASCP, M-ASCP, MB-ASCP, MLS-ASCP, MP-ASCP, MT-AMT, MT-ASCP, MT-NCA, or MT-STATE certification preferred
· One of the above certifications may substitute for one year of the required experience
· 3 years’ experience in a laboratory setting applicable to their area of responsibility required
· Receive samples in EPIC Beaker and Performs specimen testing, quality control, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting and of the associated specimen testing processes, procedures, and documentation
· Validates specimen identification per hospital and departmental policies and procedures and appropriateness of sample type and size; processes according to specimen handling protocols defined in standard operating procedures
· Manages special projects and performs tests
· Manages projects in collaboration with medical staff and other personnel as negotiated by Medical Director
· Performs and documents quality control procedures
· Assists with the performance of proficiency studies and surveys, ensuring that materials are processed, tested, and reported accurately; investigates problems or unacceptable results and completes necessary documentation
· Performs instrument function checks, calibration, maintenance, and evaluation
· Performs or supervises performance and documentation of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on the instruments and equipment in the section; maintains record keeping system
· Participates in the teaching of other personnel; MT and MLT internship programs; participates in continuing education
· Demonstrates theoretical and practical knowledge of procedures and instrumentation, maintains expertise in specialty area, and exhibits enthusiasm while teaching students, new employees, and others in a clear communication style
· Takes inventory and orders supplies in Material Management’s system; monitors expiration dates. Assists with troubleshooting backorders and related problems
· Performs other essential job-related functions