About Texas Children's Hospital
Texas Children’s Pediatrics is the nation’s largest primary pediatric care network with more than 200 physicians dedicated to the health care needs of infants to teenagers in over50 locations throughout the greater Houston area. As part of our goal to build a community of healthy children, Texas Children's Pediatrics Community Cares Program provides trusted, high-quality pediatric medical services for children who otherwise would seek care from emergency centers or possibly go without care or treatment due to low family incomes and/or lack of health insurance.
To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org
for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org
Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Medical Assistant or a Certified Medical Assistant— someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will provide clinical support for patients in the hospital’s various ambulatory settings promoting cost effective, age appropriate, safe, and high-quality family centered care.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
- Assist in the collection of patient/family data that may include biophysical, psychosocial, developmental, cultural, and environmental information per practice protocol
- Collect and document vital signs, BMI, height/weight, and reason for visit with complete accuracy
- Document current medications, allergies, and other information in the electronic health record
- Prepare patients for examination and assist provider, as directed, during treatments, examinations, and testing as directed by the provider
- Document all interventions per practice protocol
- Call in and/or send electronic prescription refills as directed
- Assist provider during office emergency patient care
- Keep rooms stocked with supplies and notify managers when supplies are low
- Participate as a member of the care team, working with each member of the team to meet the goals of the patient, and participate in daily huddles and monthly staff meetings
- Coordinate patient care by following up on lab results, ER visits, et cetera
- Identify patients eligible for Vaccines for Children program and follow procedures for accurate documentation and management
- Assess patient’s eligibility for referral by verifying coverage with payor prior to initiate referral
- Manage the outstanding orders report and lab error work queue to assure results are received
- Provide superb customer service
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
- High school diploma or GED
- Graduation from a medical assistant or emergency medical technician program
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required from the American Heart Association
- Knowledge of medical terminology, medical assistant/outpatient care tasks, and customer service concepts
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service, and problem-solving skills, and operate basic medical equipment
- 1 year of related experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Certified Medical Assistant preferred: One of the following certifications:
- CCMA - Cert-Cert Clinical MA - CCMA National Health Career Association (NHA)
- CMA-AAM - Cert-Cert Medical Assistant American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- CMA-C - Clinical Medical Assistant Certification American Medical Certification Association (AMCA)
- EMT - Emergency Medical Techn Texas Department of State Health Services
- EMT-A - Advanced EMT Texas Department of State Health Services
- EMT-B - Emergency Medical Techn-Basic Texas Department of State Health Services
- EMT-I - Emergency Medical Techn-Interm Texas Department of State Health Services
- EMT-P - Emergency Medical Techn-Parame Texas Department of State Health Services
- LIC PAR - Lic-Paramedic Texas Department of State Health Services
- NCMA - National Cert Med Assistant National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- NRCMA - Nat Reg Cert Med Assistant National Association of Health Professionals (NAHP)
- RMA - Registered Medical Assistant American Association of Medical Personnel, American Allied Health, American Medical Technologists, or American Registry of Medical Assistants
Current Texas Children’s employees – Please click here to login.