About Texas Children's Hospital
We are searching for a part-time Front Office Specialist II at Cinco Ranch, Urgent Care– someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will coordinate and perform the scheduling of patients, receive and greet visitors, answer and handle incoming calls, coordinate the referral process, enter accurate billing information into the system and transmit accurate claims.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s unless approved for a medical or religious exemption.
• Required H.S. Diploma or equivalent.
• Preferred Graduation from a medical assisting or emergency medical technician program.
• Required BLS - Cert-Basic Life Support by the American Heart Association
• 2 years related experience
• Assists with the collection of patient/family data. Assists in the collection of patient/family data that may include biophysical, psychosocial, developmental, cultural, and environmental information per site protocol. Collects and documents vital signs, height/weight, and reason for visit. Graphs data per site protocol. Documents current medications, allergies, and other information per site protocol with 100% accuracy. Uses scripting where appropriate. Adheres to standards of behavior. Coordinates referrals, ensuring that the family has contact information for referral and any necessary documentation needed for the referral.
• Provides general patient care. Prepares patient for examination per site protocol. Assists provider, as directed, during treatments, examinations and testing as directed by provider and within scope of site. Completes treatments as directed by provider and within scope of site. Documents all interventions per site protocol. Calls in prescription refills as directed by provider and per site protocol. Takes messages and returns calls from parents – offers telephone health advice per site protocol and under provider’s direction. Assists provider in providing office emergency patient care. Maintains current CPR certifications. Keep rooms stocked with supplies per site protocol. Notifies Site Manager, or designee, of needed supplies weekly.
• Administers medication and immunizations. Administers medication and immunizations as directed by physician per site protocol. Documents administration of medication and immunizations in the medical record per site protocol. Reports all medication and immunization errors to supervisor immediately after becoming aware of the error. Documents adverse reactions to medications per policy and procedure. Notifies Site Manager, or designee, of needed medication and supplies weekly. Maintains integrity of medication supplies by following infection control and inventory control guidelines. Provides patient/family education as instructed by the physician or site protocol. Documents such education in the medical record.
• Collects Specimens and Performs Laboratory Test. Verifies provider order and patient per site protocol. Collects and processes specimen according to manufacturer’s instructions and using proper technique. Follows site protocol in reporting and documenting results. Performs and documents scheduled quality control, instrument maintenance and calibration procedures according to manufacturer information. Maintains and prepares reagents appropriately and performs and documents required reagent checks, including monitoring of expiration dates. Takes appropriate action and documents out of control values per manufacturer guidelines. Troubleshoots and documents instrument problems and makes minor adjustments, when applicable, by consulting instrument manual and the appropriate technical support service. Participates in CLIA/COLA-approved proficiency testing program. Maintains records of proficiency results. Communicates any quality control issues, proficiency issues and/or instrument failures to Lab Medical Director and Site Manager as they occur. Coordinates with outside lab by verifying where patient is to go for lab and documents per site protocol. Directs patient to approved lab if specimen is not to be obtained in site. If specimen is sent to an outside laboratory, ensures the specimen is collected and sent per site and lab protocols. Assures results are received and provider is notified of results. Reports all lab errors immediately to supervisor after becoming aware of error. Assures encounter form reflects test performed. Notifies site manager, or designee, or needed laboratory supplies weekly. Assures compliance with regulatory requirements, i.e., CLIA/COLA, and OSHA.
• Provides operational support, performs reception duties & screens phone calls. Collects and disseminates mail and deliveries per practice protocol. Notifies Practice Manager, or designee, of needed supplies weekly. Serves as practice/family resource regarding managed care questions. Participates, as directed, in performance improvement activities by collecting data on provided forms. Participates in performance improvement activities by developing annual practice goals, coordinating PI projects, and taking part in the action planning process. Attends staff meetings, continuing education workshops, in-services, and quality improvement activities (committees, teams, task forces). Assists providers with the management of clinical data including routing laboratory results. Assist providers with other administrative duties as needed, including letter writing and other correspondence. Collaborates with co-workers to monitor workloads and accept reassignments as indicated. This includes providing lunch, break and sick/vacation coverage as needed. Prepares and assures weekly deposit and daily work is balanced and ready for pickup by bank courier. Greets patients and visitors upon arrival utilizing Creating SMILES philosophies. Assists patients with check in/check out. Answers telephone within six rings and directs calls per practice protocol. Takes complete and error free messages. Keep hold time to less than one minute. Receives less than 3 customer service complaints during evaluation period. Ensures that all necessary patient forms are completed for the visit. Assists the patient, when requested, in the completion of forms or other requested documents. Communicates with patients, staff, and providers regarding patient arrivals, delays, and practice processes. Alerts practice staff and provider of any changes or discrepancies in patient’s scheduled appointment. Proactively approaches dissatisfied customers and implements customer service recovery measures. Accommodates walk-ins per practice protocol. Inform patient family of wait time. Screens present patient complaint per site protocol. Screens phone calls per site protocol and within scope of site standards. Documents all clinical patient phone calls per the organization's recommendations. Responds appropriately in emergency situations per site protocol. Tasks are measured by observations of evaluator, feedback of provider and review of medical record, quality audits and feedback from parents.
• Reviews billing information and process patient payments. Scans encounter sheet and all other relevant data to patient encounter into EPIC with 100% accuracy and within timelines established by practice. Balances payments received daily and completes spreadsheet for Central Business office. Collaborates with Central Business Office to investigate and resolve billing questions. Identifies trends and options to prevent future denials. Works with leadership to implement and assess the effect of new processes targeting denial prevention. Verifies and collects correct co-payment with 100% accuracy. Collects payments due in the form of cash, checks and credit cards per policy and procedure. Provides receipts for all payments with 100% accuracy. Notifies patient of existing balance and directs patient to customer service with billing questions. Enters payments into billing system per practice protocol. Initiates investigation into variances regarding cash funds.
• Maintains integrity of medical record and monitors patient information and other practice data. Files, archives, and retrieves medical records per office protocol. Scans all reports and correspondence received, after provider review, per practice protocol. Assures medical record release document is complete. Copies, mails, faxes or otherwise delivers requested records per practice protocol. Maintains confidentiality of patient information by following policy and procedure and practice protocol. Verifies accurate patient demographics information with each visit and enters into medical record and billing system per practice protocol with 100% accuracy. Verifies and documents coverage of services prior to patient being seen by a provider per practice protocol. Scans all relevant visit information to PCP by end of day.