About Texas Children's HospitalTexas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands is north Houston’s first true, free-standing pediatric hospital designed, equipped and staffed exclusively to provide care in more than 25 areas of specialty care for children and adolescents. Hospital facilities include 24 emergency center rooms, outpatient exam rooms, radiology rooms, operating rooms and acute care beds, as well as a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). To join our community of 14,000+ dedicated team members, visit texaschildrenspeople.org for career opportunities. You can also learn more about our amazing culture at infinitepassion.org. Texas Children’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions at Texas Children's without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
We are searching for a Pathology Patient Care Technician -- someone who works well in a fast-paced setting. In this position, you will perform phlebotomy, order entry, specimen processing and clerical tasks in the Central Receiving and Processing section of the Pathology Department. This role also trains new staff, manages defects and processes specimens for reference laboratory referral.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
· Adheres to hospital and departmental patient identification policies by ensuring to check that the two patient identifiers match on the patient’s armband, the labels and requisition prior to performing phlebotomy
· Orders, labels, and processes specimens for testing in laboratory
· Processes and packages specimens for shipping to the Main Campus other reference labs
· Communicates and interacts with handles patients, families and staff
· Independently investigates and resolves discrepancies with patient demographics and OPTIO labels by contacting personnel in other departments, nurses, Admissions staff, using the EPM
· Demonstrates theoretical and practical knowledge of the procedures and equipment; maintains skills and demonstrates competency via performance, documentation, and observation by supervisory staff
· Performs and participates in proficiency testing programs to validate competency as required
· Trains new employees and evaluates competency of other Pathology Patient Care Liaison staff in the performance of phlebotomy, order entry, and clerical and computer functions, centrifugation, labeling, and other procedures
Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any booster dose(s) of the COVID-19 vaccine recommended by the Centers for Disease Control when eligible, is required for all employees at Texas Children’s, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption
· High school diploma or equivalent required
· PBT-ASCP certification preferred
· 1 year phlebotomy/specimen processing experience required